Hey, friends and family!
Well, yesterday we just returned from our tour of the South, mostly in the region of Andalucía. It gets hot down there! We saw the Mediterranean Sea in Estepona, Spain but we didn´t get in because of time. Oh, well! We were on a crazy schedule because each day we had things planned to see and do...which I like because we get to see a TON! We have seen many beautiful cathedrals, churches, and Roman ruins (like a theater and bridge). Also, we are learning about all the influences in Spain, like the Romans and the Arabs, for example. Finally, after all the different occupations, the christians reconquered their land and got it all back, now influenced by many. One of the coolest things I loved to see were the buldings built by the Arabs in southern Spain. We saw the "Mesquita" (or mosque) in Córdoba as well as "La Alhambra" (which I think means "Red Castle" in arabic) in Granada. They are incredible...and so OLD!! Wow! Also, our professors have taught us a lot more about the arabic influence in Spanish. (Sorry for those who aren´t into language (or already have learned this), but this is cool!) For example, we know there are lots of words we have in Spanish that are Arabic, like "azul" and "ojalá" but also many if not all the words that start with "al" are Arabic too! They told us that "al" was an article in Arabic. For example...almohada, alhambra, etc. And "guad" means river (río) and that´s why lots of the rivers (especially in the south) here start with "guad"-- guadalquivir, guadalfeo (ha ha! The ugly river!), guadalete, guadiana, guadiaro, etc. Anyway, I´ve learned a lot about the history of Spain and the language too. It´s awesome to read about some Roman ruins and then to go and actually SEE them! Cool!
Another thing that has impressed me is ALL the work these people have put into their buildings of worship, whether it be the christians or muslims, etc. They all inspire us to look heavenward to a higher power than ourselves. It´s beautiful. I know there is a God and he loves us!
Well, so far we´ve been in Trujillo, Talavera, Mérida, Sevilla, Ronda, Málaga, Estepona, Granada, Córdoba, and Consuegra. Now you will understand why I am writing so much! Also, today is a free day so I have time! We are back in Madrid now and Marcella, Natziely, and I are staying with a widow named Fe. After a week of seeing Madrid and working on some homework and projects, including interviews with the people, we will go on a tour of the north of España.
One more thing...the Eurocopa 2008 just ended and Spain won!! They haven´t won this Europe Soccer cup in like 44 years I think!! We were arriving home to the hotel when we heard screams every around us....they won! Shortly after, people were running out of their apartments (in the cities most live in apts.) and screaming, waving flags, driving in their cars and scooters, honking their horns, etc. What excitement! It was so fun to see the celebrations!! What patriotism! People of all ages were celebrating in the streets...I even saw an elderly lady waving a flag from her window! These shouts, horns, and parties went on for at least 3 hours but then quieted down a little but I am sure people were still partying!
Well, Happy 4th! I love you all!
My Best School Experience
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment